Monday, August 6, 2007

Sad Annointing


Sad Annointing can be downloaded directly by Clicking here.

There's nothing really terribly sad about the cuts on this episode. The phrase stuck with me from an episode of Deadwood. Deadwood has lots of
swears, and is not safe for work. My title doesn't and is.


00:02. Beck "Cellphone's Dead" Beck's a Scientologist again. L. Ron Hubbard was once a roommate of JPL founder
Jack Parsons. Parsons was a rocket scientist and head of the Los Angeles chapter of the Ordo Templi Orientis. The O.T.O. was Aleistar Crowley's occult organization. The Hubbard/Parsons "relationship lasted until 1947, when Hubbard defrauded Parsons of a sum of money and ran off with Sarah Northrup"*, "Parson's aeronautically named witchy poo girlfriend. Hubbard used much of this money from Allied Enterprises to promulgate and publish his book Dianetics, which later evolved into and was superseded by Scientology"*. The story would make a good movie.

* from the Jack Parsons Wikipedia entry.

Aleistar Crowley, meanwhile, might be George W. Bush's
grandfather.

To quote Spinal Tap's David St. Hubbins,
"I believe virtually everything I read, and I think that is what makes me more of a selective human, than someone who doesn't believe anything."

Now, who is Graham Parsons?

04:46 Missy Elliot "I Can't Stand the Rain"

08:02 Dinosaur Jr "Just Like Heaven"
cover of the Cure song. It ended abruptly, cut out mysteriously, remember?

10:46 Fergie "London Bridge"
There is the notion of "amateur culture" supposedly encouraged by and created through the Internet. There is also a strong reaction to it.
I'd like to point out the music of Fergie ("My Humps", that new sad song mentioning babies and blankets) is the stuff that the experts, not the amateurs are creating, so...
Fergie is the kind of quality, lasting celebrity who's going to be around for a long time. I like this song.

The shorty bus has a sub woofer.

13:56 Howlin' Wolf, Koko Taylor, "Wang Dang Doodle"

17:01 Louvin Brothers "Satan is Real"

19:46 Pavement "Range Life"

24:37 Neil Diamond "The Last Thing on My Mind"

28:10 Nat King Cole "Nature Boy"

30:43 Johnny Cash "If You Could Read My Mind"

34:51 Skip James "Devil Got My Woman"

40:01 Rolling Stones "The Last Time"

43:44 Pop Staples and the Staples Singers "This May Be The Last Time"
the alleged 'inspiration' for the Stones song.

46:10 Elvis Costello with Lucinda Williams "There's a Story in Your Voice"
I just love her drawl. What if she were secretly Australian?

49:48 Louis Armstrong "A Kiss to Build A Dream On"

54:12 Pavement "Stop Breathing"

58:38 My Bloody Valentine "From Here to Who Knows When"

63:41 The Verve "Bittersweet Symphony."
This song sampled an orchestral version of the Rolling Stones song -"The Last Time". One little bite, and there go the songwriting credits and perhaps the whole career. Perhaps this is the karmic reason for Keith Richard's deformed left index
finger.

69:29 Andrew Oldham Orchestra "The Last Time"
the aforementioned song. Maybe that bite wasn't so small after all. I'd been looking for this for a while.

73:07 Yo La Tengo "I heard you looking"
This has been enshortened.

76:35 Roy Buchanan "Sweet Dreams"
I heard this first on the soundtrack to that last Scorsese movie "The Departed".

2 comments:

  1. lucinda and elvis costello..good lord man - that's great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fine p-cast! My beloved Country Teasers released an album entitled "Satan Is Real Again," undoubtedly inspired by the Louvin Bros' classic, 'cept the Teasers make the type of music against which the song cautions.

    I was informed this weekend by my Canadian aunt-in-law that Elvis Costello and his wife Diana Krall have a house near her. She also told me I look like Elvis Costello, which I don't, so I take that with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete