Saturday, August 18, 2007

Out The Gate By Eight

Out The Gate By Eight can be downloaded directly by clicking here.

The title comes from a little guiding truism for the incarcerated and recidivist junky:

"Out the gate by eight,
in the spoon by noon,
back again by ten."


00:02 Harry James Orchestra
"Teddy Bear’s Picnic". As a boy, my brothers and I had this song on a little yellow labeled 45. It's still among my brother Rick's favorite songs, and it reminds me of him when I hear it. This is from the soundtrack to the newer Hollywood version of "The Singing Detective". I've not seen it and probably won't. It may sully my memory of watching the excellent BBC version, much as I love Robert Downey, Jr., from whom I first heard the titular junky rhyme on Loveline.

02:54 Bob Log III
"Drunk Stripper" from School Bus. In my mind, this latter day Hasil Adkins has a beard, aviator sunglasses, wears a wifebeater and a beer belly. But in reality, he's a skinny aging hipster in a Evil Knievel jumpsuit who wears a helmet with an old telephone handset epoxied to it. (I glimpsed the masked man's face
backstage at the Crocodile Cafe once.)

05:58 Fatboy Slim don’t remember

09:36 Esquivel "Sentimental Journey"

12:05 Mick Harvey and Anita Lane "Harley Davidson" from Intoxicated Man , Harvey's Serge Covers album.

14:45 The Triplets of Belleville Soundtrack "Belleville Roundezvous"

17:48 David Bowie "V2 Schneider " from Low

20:54 Perez Prado "Guaglione"

23:14 Ink Spots "Java Jive"

26:20 The Triplets of Belleville Soundtrack "Jazzy Bach"

27:36 Emile Ford & The Checkmates "On A Slow Boat To China"

30:06 Serge Gainsbourg "Je taime" original. Don't play this song in the vicinity of proper French women of a certain age. It can upset them. If you do so, tell them that you understood that it was a song about asthma.

34:17 Remix of same Serge Gainsbourg "Je taime" by... I can no remember.

38:36 Breeders from Last Splash

42:29 Ennio Morricone song

45:09 Mark Lanegan
a song from The Winding Sheet

49:00 Ulrich Schnauss.
It's Enya for hipsters. Or just more Enya.

55:46 Beck "
Paper Tiger" live on KCRW with the Flaming Lips

60:18 Beach boys
intro

60:42 Beach Boys "Don't Cry, Put Your Head On My Shoulder"

63:29 Tom Waits "
Murder in a Red Barn"

67:43 Nick Cave
"The Ship Song "

72:23 Les Paul and Mary Ford. Umm


Image from Antique Scientifica, an archive of medical, surgical and dental artifacts.

2 comments:

  1. The first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this podcast was Robert Downey Jr. on Loveline. I'm loving my loveline disks! Thank heavens I've only made it to disk 3 so far!!! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Astute! There's your secret handshake for the day.
    That was a great episode. Talk about range: It had the most embarrassing bitter bickering, and later, moments of transcendance.

    ReplyDelete